This gorgeous homemade necklace uses a centuries-old technique of quilling that creates a very unique look in beautiful colors that you can customize to suit your wedding. This is also a great way to incorporate keepsakes such as ticket stubs or love letters from the dating and engagement years into meaningful, wearable art.
New to quilling? Check your local craft store. Many craft store offer classes to help get you started.
Supplies and tools:
Thin paper strips for quilling: scrapbook papers, ticket stubs, old love letters and other paper mementos
X-Acto knife and cutting mat
1 spool tiger tail
1 package each of 3 mm and 4 mm Blue Moon glass pearl beads
1 clasp set
2 6 mm jump rings
1/4 yard Tulle
1/4 yard of 1/4 inch wide Organdy ribbon
Hand sewing needle
Optional book: “The Art of Paper Quilling, Designing Handcrafted Gifts and Cards”
1. Using paper strips for quilling, make several flower shapes in various sizes and colors. Set aside.
2. Cut two pieces of tiger tail about 12 inches long.
3. Attach one end of one tiger tail strand to clasp using crimp bead and crimp tool. Trim excess wire.
4. String glass pearl beads for about 8 to 9 inches.
5. Attach one jump ring to opposite end using a crimp bead and crimp tool. Trim excess wire. Set aside.
6. Repeat steps three to five for second tiger tail strand.
7. Cut two pieces of tiger tail – one 8 inches long and another 10 inches long.
8. Attach tiger tail strands to jump ring. Adjust the 8 inch strand to measure approximately 6 inches and the 10 inch strand to measure approximately 8 inches.
9. Lay paper flowers out on work surface so they fit nicely between the two pearl strands and on top of the two tiger tail strands.
10. Cut two pieces of tulle slightly larger than your flower layout, following the outline of the flower shapes. Cut two large strips of tulle – about 3/4 inches wide and 3 inches long – to tie onto necklace at the sides.
11. Sandwich the two tiger tail wires between the tulle. Hand stitch the tulle together close to the tiger tail wire.
12. Tie the tulle onto the necklace at jump rings. Trim tulle to desired length.
13. Cut two pieces of organdy ribbon each 2 1/2 inches long. Tie onto necklace at jump rings. Trim.
14. Glue paper flower in place on top of the tulle following desired layout. Let dry.
15. Add glass pearl beads to flower centers. Let dry.